Monday, May 7, 2012

Look of a Holy Woman

1 Corinthians 11:6~ "For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered."
1 Corinthians 11:15~ "But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering."
Deuteronomy 22:5~ " The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are an abomination unto the Lord thy God."
1 Peter 3:3~ "Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel;"
2 Kings 9:30~ "And when Jehu was come to Jezreel, Jezebel heard of it; and she painted her face, and tired her head, and looked out at a window."


When I was first introduced to these verses and the true implication of them was explained to me seven years ago, I rebelled. I did not want to hear it. I did not want to have to let my hair grow. I was in rebellion~ I simply wasn't going to obey God.
I did, however, switch to wearing only dresses and skirts for a long time, until there came a time I needed to climb on top of a full size fridge to see what was stored behind it. At that point I at down a had a conversation with God. If I was going to be in a job position where I must do a man's work, I was going to have to go back to my blue jean attire. I prayerfully asked Him to change me or change the situation so I would be able to wear skirts and dresses. Neither happened.
I left church. For many years I prayed about finding a church. I watched church on TV. I continued to wear a bit of make-up, to cut/ trim my hair and to wear pants and jewelry.
I longed to change.
I felt convicted to change.
Day to day I still rebelled.
And I made it His responsibility to change me!
Then it happened. Not over night. More like over a year.
A friend invited me to his church. I, initially rebelled.
And I started going to a fun church. A church where I was never challenged to be a Biblical woman of God. And it was fun for a while. But it wasn't providing the solid foundation I wanted for my son. We weren't being fed. Yes, there were tons of fun activities. But... it wasn't grounded in the word of God. It just wasn't Biblical accurate teaching. And I knew we had to find a new church.
Then, over time, I saw the changes God was making in my friend's life. I literally saw him transformed into a man of God!
And, so I visited his church. Wow! A church God moves in and through! I was hooked! Totally addicted from day one!
And, suddenly, I saw that the changes I had been making on my in my life made it possible for me to be obedient to the word of God!
In October, two months before I started at his church, I began to really feel convicted for getting my hair trimmed every two months. But, because I am rebellious, I got more than a trim in November. I had it shaped and added more layers.
It was so cute! And it felt way shorter (the layers) than I had thought it would. 
And
I knew I was wrong. 
And 
I knew I must stop trimming altogether. 
Now, initially, I was told that you could tell how holy a woman was by the length of her hair. I know that to not be true. A woman can have uncut hair that has grown clear tot he ground and still have a life full of sin. 
But, God does not want us females to cut our hair.  Plain and simple.  No cutting. No trimming. No shaping. 
I'm not going to say that not cutting my hair has been all fun and games because it hasn't. When I lean back my hair gets trapped between my back and the seat and pulls~ Ouch! The ends get vey dry unless I am diligent about conditioning and brushing. And it matts up badly at night and when I'm driving with the windows down unless I braid it.
But I am doing it to please Him and that's all thet matters.  
And He wants us to dress and present ourselves as ladies~ as women of God. Modest dress. Not flashy to attract attention to ourselves. No jewelry. No make-up. No fancy braided styles. Heads properly covered.   
When people look at us, they should notice, above all, our inner beauty~ the work the Holy Spirit has done in us to change our hearts. 
And, so...
When we look in the mirror... 
Are we looking for beauty as the world portrays it?
Or...
Are we looking for the beauty that comes as we follow His teachings?
For, as a Christian woman ages, she becomes more beautiful!     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome! What are you doing to show you care?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...