Monday, April 4, 2011

Weed Prevention

Good Morning!
Isn't the warmer weather heavenly?! I'll certainly take 48- 71 degrees over 30 degrees any day!
Come around back and see what I've been up to.
I am finally putting in my garden... one tiny vegetable bed at a time... this way the whole thing does not seem so overwhelming a project to undertake... and the crop harvests are staggered.
My first step is laying down cardboard boxes to prevent weeds from growing. For this bed I only put down a single layer of boxes. That is the same as I did last year. It seemed to be sufficient to prevent any weeds already in the soil from growing into my new vegetable bed.
For the garden area that will be fine. For the little hill going down to my neighbor's fence I am planning to use approximately three layers of boxes buried under a thick layer of hay! My neighbor has a solid crop of poison ivy on her fence, which she claims she doesn't know how to get rid of, so I am planning to smother what has grown onto my lot.
I picture my garden all covered in cardboard and the poison I y buried under cardboard and hay and I smile. Neat, clean and weed-free!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome! What are you doing to show you care?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...