Thursday, May 12, 2011

Lasagna Gardening

Hi! Welcome back!
Yes, I am honestly this far behind at getting my garden in! I know it's sad, but the crazy weather and other responsibilities have kept me away.
This year I'm only doing lasagna gardening. My soil is not soil, it is clay and large rocks, so this method saves my back.
First I pull most weeds (OCD?). Then I lay out 2+ layers of cardboard with 1-2" of compost on top of that. The compost is a combination of chicken droppings and the contents of an old compost bin (2008). Seeds are planted right into the compost and I water as needed.
The peas (bottom of pic) are already 1-2" high! Matt and I love peas, so these are a blessing indeed!!!
What is your favorite gardening method?
Lasagna?
Double-digging?
Trench and mound?

8 comments:

  1. Last year was our first garden...at the end of winter we put newspaper down where we wanted the garden, then we put leaves on that and compost on top of that...so the leaves wouldnt blow away...when we were ready to plant...the grass was all gone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds good, I put newspsper down where I don't want to have weeds too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could I use cardboard instead? I don't have a lot of newspsper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Probably. I read about someone once who had an old carpet. He cut holes in it where the plants were going to be and planted there. He didn't have any weeds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. carpet??? Not me. I only use newspaper.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We use pots on the patio. It is easier.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pots are OK...but not for lots of plants...and don't they have to be watered by hand...they can't get to any of the ground water

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wouldn't recommend carpet, although I have heard of people doing that. Seems to me that would make a toxic garden!
    I like using cardboard... tried newspaper, but it didn't work near,y as well at killing off the weeds.
    I'm having absolutely no luck growing seeds in pots this year... can't figure out why... sad :(

    ReplyDelete

Welcome! What are you doing to show you care?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...