Wednesday, May 25, 2011

It is What You Make It

Funny how so much of who we say we are is based on what we own... how often do you hear, "I live in _____ subdivision!" ? 
Do you remember, as a child, thinking you were something special when you 'owned' that cool stick!? Or you had obvious super powers because you could climb a tree!? 
I remember being so excited because I learned how to build Barbie furniture out of a tissue box. I had be so sad because a friend had a Barbie house with an elevator. Santa had brought it. I was pretty sure Santa just didn't like me as I never got 'cool' presents. 
Then my little world expanded to include other children who were on Santa's bad list. Actually, they were just kids, like me, from multiple-child households. 
BUT, 
they knew things! 
And,
the things they knew came from living with adversity. Being poor, whatever that means to each person, can be a catalyst to learning great skills! 
While the rich kids played with their multi-level Barbie houses with elevators, we were building Barbie houses. And, while mine didn't have an elevator, I could re-arrange the floor plan at a whim! 
Now, as the single perpetually broke mom of an amazing Autistic ten year old boy, I have skills to share. More than that, I have the spirit of never giving up. The attitude that says, "keep saying I'm not capable of it and I'll make a profit off it!" 
I watch him build things I never could have dreamed up using what he finds around our homestead and I am grateful for sitting on Cherrywood in Toledo in Mary's bedroom making Barbie beds out of tissue boxes. 
Be grateful for what He has given you 
AND
For what He has not given you.
He has a reason.
Be blessed in all circumstances!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome! What are you doing to show you care?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...