Sunday, February 5, 2012

A Heritage in Linens



Worn and frayed, yet softer than anything in the stores... Full of gentle memories of nights spent sleeping in the upstairs front bedroom at Grandma's house at 31 N. Walnut St., Manteno, IL. The early morning scent of breakfast cooking and coffee brewing... The quiet chatter of 'the grown-ups' downstairs...
Isn't it amazing what a simple item like linens from Grandma's house can make you remember? How comforted you feel as you lay your head once again on one of her pillow cases? How her table cloth makes dinner more down-to-earth? How her wash cloths with the crocheted edge make your bath more spa-like?
I was very blessed to receive linens and such when my Grandma Joyce's house was being cleaned out. In 1997 I moved into an apartment with 12 sets of Grandma's sheets. A few remain today, the rest having worn too thin or ripped from age.
As I look into the linen closet I almost always choose 'Grandma linens' for that feeling of home, comfort and connection with the past.

Sent from my Cricket mobile device

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome! What are you doing to show you care?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...