Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Do You Have Seeds?



As I look at my seed bin, I wonder if I am truly prepared? Do I really have all the seeds I need? Enough sprout able varieties to keep us in produce all summer? All year? To can and dehydrate a two year supply? To completely feed us without using the grocery store?
My bin looks full, but it is an artificial sense of security. As I recall from last growing season, many of these seeds are not viable/ not sprout able.
What this means is that I am going to have to test seeds from every seed packet I have. I absolutely must know which ones will sprout/ which ones I can count on for our future. Then I must inventory the seeds that sprout so that I can make sure I have as broad a variety of seeds as possible.
There are, however, some crops I won't be attempting to grow, like wheat and rice, as I live on 130 x 50 ft and would need many acres to grow enough to make it worthwhile. For those crops I am thinking of foraging and substitution.
Plan ahead to eat well!

Sent from my Cricket mobile device

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome! What are you doing to show you care?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...