Sunday, January 10, 2010

Cat Box Savings

As I've gone through the process of cleaning the cat box, I have evolved a system that works well for me and is free as well as a worthwhile fertilizer for my gardens!
So, I was sweeping up the floor by the wood stove after filling the cat box with animal bedding and shredded paper and realized that all the little bits and pieces of logs were very similar to the animal bedding. I swept up some of the log pieces and dumped these into the cat box and watched what would happen. Charcoal, our trusty cat, climbed gingerly into the box and did his business as usual! Success!
After that, I swept all the saw dust, etc from around the stove and dumped it all into a plastic tote.
There would be no more buying cat litter for this household!
Then there was the issue of disposal.
Well, about every other day, I simply dump the contents of the cat box into the stove. The fire roars! The litter is incinerated. The cinders are, eventually, hauled to the compost pile to fertilize our garden.
So, the cat box can be a great source of free fertilizer and cat litter doesn't have to cost anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome! What are you doing to show you care?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...